Sunday, May 23, 2010

Digital Diary: Run To Home Base


The inaugural Run To Home Base 9k took place in Boston at Fenway Park on May 23rd, 2010.


Yours truly was there with disposable camera in hand.


And, while my photography skills are considered weak by most standards, I ran with said camera in an attempt to capture some digital memories of my journey from a Yawkey Way starting line to a finish across home plate in the most storied ballpark in baseball.


Ready...set...go!

[ DIGITAL DIARY: START ]

-----------
7:08 am

-----------

The calm before storm. I've been in Fenway Park several times over the years and I've never seen it this quiet.

Photobucket

Ever.

-----------

7:46 am
-----------

Felt more like livestock being corralled than runners being directed to our starting position.

Photobucket

Moo.

-----------

8:11 am
-----------


My view along with a bird's eye view of my starting position.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Still not sure what may have prevented the gentlemen outside the gates from running.


-----------

8:29 am
-----------

The first turn around the 2 mile mark.

Photobucket

Stepping back and seeing so many people running toward me on the left and away from me on the right gets lost in photographic translation.

What doesn't get lost in translation, however, is the vivid memory I have of Special Ed's I Got It Made pumping in my shuffle as I made my first picture stop. Still the only song in history to rhyme "potato 'n alligator souffle."

I got it made.

-----------

8:42 am
-----------

The gentlemen in the red shirt was running in place on his patio as we all ran by and stopped the moment I attempted to catch him on film.

I didn't get a picture of Mr. Red Shirt flipping me the bird while I tucked my camera back in my shorts either.

Photobucket

Now I know how the paparazzi feels.

-----------

8:58 am

-----------


Heading through the tunnel that connects Landsdowne Street and center field in Fenway. I had goosebumps.

Photobucket

And I really had to pee.

-----------

9:04 am
-----------

This is the closest I could get to the Green Monster after crossing the finish line in a mediocre 47:36. My hope was to get a long shot of runners emerging from the tunnel but volunteer staff prevented me from getting said angle.

Photobucket

Ok, you got me. I wasn't trying to get a picture. I was trying to gain access to the scoreboard door inside the Monstah.

Fail.


-----------

9:10 am
-----------

The post race trying-to-cross-home-plate bottleneck.

Photobucket

Tough to distinguish where the runners stop and the stadium crowd starts.

-----------

9:27 am
-----------


Finally. Home plate: where all the magic happens.


I made a deal with the runner in front of me. I promised him I'd take a shot of his feet touching home plate if he would grab the camera and take a shot of mine doing the same.


I lived up to my end of the deal.


Photobucket

He didn't.


Photobucket

(Maybe my camera skills aren't so bad after all.)


-----------

9:34 am
-----------

Soaking in the sun on the infield of Fenway Park.

Photobucket

Still really had to go pee, though.

-----------

9:38 am

-----------


A fellow runner was nice enough to take a picture of me before exiting the field.


Photobucket

Should have asked her to take that shot of me crossing home plate.


Running for a good cause was great. Participating in the inaugural Run To Home Base 9k was an honor. But the best part of the entire day was being on the field at Fenway Park.

Without security chasing me.


[ DIGITAL DIARY: END ]

So it's finally over.

I've done so in the past but I'd like to send another sincere thank you to all the folks who donated. Not only did you help veterans suffering from PTSD and other head trauma related ailments, you also bestowed me with the opportunity to enjoy an experience of a lifetime.


Thank you.

No comments: