Friday, March 19, 2010

The Morning After: Aliens, Tiger & Brackets...Oh My!


Predictability has become, well, predictable. It's even evolved into the "obvious" realm in most cases. And, while "I told you so" is one of my favorite phrases, I don't feel that sentiment can be expressed following the announcement that Tiger will play in the Masters. I think "tell me something I didn't know" or "no shit" feels more appropriate.


"Duh" sounds pretty good, too.


On March 3rd I wrote: Tiger Woods will play the Masters because rebuilding his image starts and ends with winning his first post-scandal major.

Duh, right?
Right.

But what Tiger's return declaration lacked in surprise it made up for with consternation. The announcement not only provides additional evidence his February "apology" was staged, it also proves the same ego responsible for Tiger's current predicament is alive and well -- thriving, in fact -- giving us further proof that once an entitled athlete, always an entitled athlete.

Yes, Tigger's return was predictable but, and this is what worries me, the news affirms money, ego & ratings trump morality in this recession, fear-filled world we all live in. That, dear readers, is a scary proposition.


Don't say I didn't tell you so.


------------------

Quick Thinking

------------------


-- The news of Jesse James cheating on his very famous wife, Sandra Bullock...

(wait for it...wait for it...)


-- ...Blindsided me.


-- Wakka, wakka, wakka.


-- Blame the
Wizard Alien, Jesse.

-- Being subtle seems to be a lost art form.


-- The madness has begun and casual fans everywhere declare, "Shit. I was gonna pick them." as their brackets fall apart.


-- Painful Reality Check of the Week goes to all the folks labeled "great kissers" as a result of participating in one of those popular relationship surveys on Facebook: You're not all great kissers. Sorry.


-- But I hear saying you are is a sure fire way to pick up women in D.C.

-- Right, Erik?

-- According to Facebook I, on the other hand, have a 96% chance to survive the impending Zombie Apocalypse. So I have that going for me.


-- Which is nice.


--
Nostalgic Movie Quote of the Week goes to Johnny Utah when he provides a much needed "wake up call" to Bohdi by saying, "I am an Efff Beee Eyeeeee Agent!"

-- And who says Keanu can't act?


-- Quote of the Week come from Big Nick while we listened to WEEI callers debate their feelings about whether or not they could root for Tiger at the Masters because he cheated on his wife, "If I didn't root for people who cheated on their significant others, I wouldn't have any friends left."


-- Your moral compass keeps us all on the straight and narrow, brother. No joke.


-- But that Wizard Alien is persuasive.


-- Internal Debate of the Week: "Are outdoor activities, like hunting or fishing, more of a 'sport' than cheerleading?"


-- Let's see:

Exhibit A: Redneck Rick sits camouflaged in a tree and pulls a trigger to kill Bambi. That's not a sport, that's Duck Hunt.

Exhibit B: Cheerleadering "fliers" are thrown 30 feet in the air and risk broken bones, paralysis and, in some instances, death following a failed "stunt."

Exhibit C: I have fond memories learning about the intricacies of "lollipop pants" while being bused to & from my basketball games in high school. (Those trips did wonders for team morale.)
-- Internal Debate Answer of the Week: Cheerleading is, in fact, more of a "sport" than hunting or fishing.

-- Goooooooo TEAM!


****SPIRIT FINGERS****

No comments: