Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Morning After: Run To Home Base


I'm running in the "Run To Home Base 9K" this May, faithful followers. The race is a 5.6 mile run through Boston finishing at home plate in Fenway Park. Pretty cool, right?

But there's a catch.

Each registrant is required to raise $1000 before May 1st to donate to Massachusetts General's Home Base Program. A program, by the way, that has personal significance and is committed to serving the needs of veterans with combat stress disorders and/or traumatic brain injury.

[SIDE NOTE: START]

My father served and saw combat in Vietnam. While his symptoms are less severe than some, he still receives weekly treatment at the Veteran's Hospital for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Trusting you with that information means I'm trusting you readers more than most of the people I've ever met. But, then again, I have more fingers than I do readers so I'm confident my secrets are safe with all of you!

And, while I have stories from my childhood that make sense now that I'm armed with the knowledge of how PTSD can affect individuals, I'd rather not discuss them over this digital medium. Plus, those are my dad's stories; he should be the one that tells them.

Some say he's even a better story teller than I am.

[SIDE NOTE: END]

This is the first time I've used this forum to ask for your help, dear readers. And, to be honest, I don't feel very comfortable doing it. Asking for help has never been my strong suit. But, I guess even I need to take a break at times from all the jokes and sarcasm no matter how brief that break may be.

If you'd like to help CLICK HERE.
Or you can copy and paste the following link into your browser:
www.runtohomebase.org/runtohomebase/TerrenceJoyce


Remember: No donation is too small. Unless, of course, you're trying to donate a nickel.

Please donate more than a nickel.

------------------
Quick Thinking
------------------

-- Tiger Woods will play the Masters because rebuilding his image starts and ends with winning his first post-scandal major.

-- Plus, sex addict or not, Tigger is still an egomaniac who's sole focus is to pass Jack Nicklaus for most career major wins.

-- I'm starting to think that idle hands focus less on the devil's work and more on self love.

-- I'm Old and I Don't Give A Fuck Award of the Week goes to Tommy Heinsohn for managing to steal a kiss from Maria Menounos during the Nets/Celtics game last Saturday night.

Photobucket

-- Tommy Points galore!

-- This artist's work is further proof that being cheesy, indeed, isn't easy.

-- The Buffalo Bills not offering Terrel Owens a contract extension after a mediocre year of service is further proof that the wheels are officially coming off the "T.O." marketing machine.

-- Celebrate accordingly.

-- I think Walken's remix of Lady Gaga's Poker Face is better than Kid Cudi's.

-- Bucket List Entry of the Week is the Frozen Dead Guy Days festival, which occurs every year on the first weekend of March in Nederland, CO.

-- Every time I watch this preview for the new HBO Sports Documentary Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals, premiering March 6th at 8pm, I get goose bumps on my goose bumps.

-- I'll never tire of books or documentaries that provide insight into the greatest rivalry sports has ever seen.

-- Quote of the Week comes from Ice-T in the final moments of Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair where he says, "I think a woman can to anything she wants to her body because if she ain't happy with herself, she gonna bring pain to everyone else around her."

-- Can I get an "AMEN!?"

-- I'm not sure what's worse: The Bachelor's Jake choosing Vienna or people choosing to actually watch the show which has spawned 14 seasons.

-- Idiot Award of the Week goes to Strange Gym Guy who grabbed a weighted stretch bar in the ab area, spun it around his back, above his head and then threw it to the ground.

-- I appreciate your ninja bow skills, Strange Gym Guy, but we're at Planet Fitness in Cumberland not a Kumamoto battlefield.

-- WAAAHHHH-TAAAHHHHH!!

-- And, while Planet Fitness may be the "judgment free zone," I'm going to continue to pass judgment on your idiocy.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.