Friday, June 17, 2011

Quick Thinking: Bruin With Envy


I use this forum to poke fun at hockey. (And I do it quite often, actually.) But, the truth of the matter is, today I wish I were a hockey fan. More specifically, a Boston Bruins fan.

Seriously.

I wish I were a Bruins fan because the joy of victory felt by each genuine fan when the Bruins won Lord's Stanley Cup passed me by. And isn't that the allure of following any sport? To somehow validate our lives through victory on the field of...er, um, rink of play?

Sports allow us as spectators -- whoever we are -- to share in the accomplishment of a group of elite athletes. Athletes, by the way, who have been gifted with skills the less fortunate pay to watch. Athlete who have also sacrificed most of their lives for that one career defining moment we, as fans, get to share in: winning a championship. And, despite that build up, all I felt was when the Bruins won was, "So what."

Before the lynching starts, let me say this: I understand my unethusiastic response is not remotely worthy of the effort that was put forth to evoke it. Bruin Nation has waited 39 years for this moment.

I know.

But does it really make me unappreciative, though? The answer is simple: No, it doesn't. All it does is solidifies me as a non-hockey fan. And, as strange as this might sound to some of you, I need to stay true to my "non-hockeyfandomness" without getting caught up in the hype or hopping on the already over-crowded bandwagon to stay true to who I am as a fan.

Pink hats don't look good on me, anyway.


facebook twitter

No comments: